Sunday, January 18, 2009

Supermom can't even open the mac n cheese box

This week I thought about the expectations I, and moms in general, set for themselves. I had trained for months to run a race that happened last week, but I got sick and, although I had hopes of kicking it in time, I couldn't race. I learned some things about myself. 1) I don't always listen to my body. 2) My body will shut down if I don't listen to it. 3) Optimism helps healing much better than wallowing about being sick.

And with the lessons comes some changes, hopefully. I hope to 1) Listen to my body and know when to take it easy (like running 5 miles before going to the doctor should have triggered that something was wrong with me). 2) Face unexpected trials with a more positive attitude, and 3)There will always be another race.

I thought about the unexpected trials others have gone through and feel embarrassed to say that this qualified as a trial for me--maybe it's better labeled a disappointment. I suppose I'm used to my kids causing changes to my plans all the time. I expect that. This was different. This time it was all me and I didn't like that. I thought I could will myself to overcome my weakness. But the flesh is weak, and believe it or not, that's all us moms are (although we must have an extra tough gene somewhere--just not a superhuman gene).

On a lighter note, how about those mac and cheese boxes? I have never successfully opened a box of mac and cheese by pushing in that half circle on the corner. It just hurts my thumb and dents the cardboard. Sometimes it rips a little hole in it, but it's so small it would take you all day to shake the noodles out. I usually just rip the whole top off the box. Please share any techniques that work for you. Maybe I'll make that Sam's first science experiment--inventing an easy to open mac and cheese box. I guess I've had more time to ponder these mysteries of the universe since I haven't been running the last few weeks.

So I admit my failures in this post. Failure to meet a trial with greater optimism. Failure to patiently open the noodles. Not failures altogether, but learning experiences. Chances to grow and be humbled. They are all around us.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

You are an amazing mother and person! To be able to reflect on a trial so eloquently just proves how great you are...thanks for your example (and friendship:))! Sorry, though, no help on the mac n cheese box. Remember me when you market the new one and are a millionaire;) Oh, you look just like Amy in your picture, are you twins or something?

Jer said...

I hate those mac and cheese boxes! I can never get them open that way either--I just rip the top off, too. And I thought I was the only wuss around... Just kidding. Well, kidding about the part that implied you were a wuss. Anyone that can fun 5 miles when they're sick clearly isn't one! Sorry you didn't get to run in your race. I could see how it would be a disappointment to work really hard for something and then not get to do it.

Keep working on those mac and cheese boxes. You'll get it someday. :)

bionicb said...

You are still a supermom to me Amber! I have always admired your strength and optimism. You don't give yourself enough credit. We are all entitled to a pitty party every now and then and given all the work you put into preparing for your race, don't feel bad for having one. I am not surprised in the least though, that it didn't last long. Here you are already with the eternal perspective in sight and reflecting from your experience. Some people never get there! You know I've always admired your ability to RUN and take things (trials) in stride. (Did I just make a pun!) Ha. Anyway, you are an awesome example to me and the most wonderful friend. Thanks for that.

Danny and Amy said...

Amberochka! My poor sister didn't get to run her race. I was talking to Dad about how your ONE (and only one) indulgence for yourself is running. Not that it's very indulgent, but it's "your thing." I'm glad you learned from the experience. It's never fun learning things the hard way.

Anonymous said...

I hate those Mac 'n cheese boxes. It's a conspiracy or something... Sorry about your race too.

Alisa said...

I think you're awesome for even running a race when you have three young kids. You inspire me to get in shape! And yes, I open mac&cheese boxes the same way you do.

Eliza Brock said...

Sorry about your race, that is such a bummer. Hope you are able to do a "re-run" (HA!) soon!
I also just tear the top of the box completely off....seriously whoever invented that pushing on the side business obviously didn't try it out first. Hope you are feeling better!